DAY 6: How To Season Your Meals Fabulously
Today’s Goal: To gain an overall understanding of how to season your veggies and protein!
We are approaching the finish line diva! You should be so proud!!
But most importantly, we get consistent, long term, body changing RESULTS!!!! Check out our girl Nicky’s 4 week transformation below, see more… (CLICK HERE: NICKY TRANSFORMING)
The last day to join our 30 day challenge is July 11th.
Oh, but did someone say seasoning???!!
DIVA TIPS: SEASONING FABULOUS MEALS
- Growing up in New Orleans, I was accustomed to preparing all of my cooked breakfast options with BUTTER! From toast, to pancakes to scrambled eggs, to grits, butter was a part of our morning routine. Now I know, if you’re trying to lose weight, butter is not your friend! She is fattening and NOT good for your heart health! Steer clear!
- Instead of using butter when frying or scrambling your eggs or flipping those pancakes, use coconut oil or spray. Actually any healthy oil like olive, avocado or even grape seed oil will do. You will definitely get more heart healthy benefits going with a healthy oil over that artery clogging butter!
- I should also mention, I prefer using spray cans over the oil (when possible) because it’s less expensive. Yall know I’m always trying to save a $1. Now be sure not to mistakenly buy coconut oil used for your hair! LOL Purchase the coconut oil used for cooking (click here).
- When it comes to seasoning your protein, the best solution is pink Himalayan salt. There are so many benefits to consuming pink salt over table salt, AND, pink salt has more flavor!! If you are using white table salt to season your protein, do you blood pressure a favor, THROW IT OUT!
- If you have participated in one of our Fit, Fyne & Fabulous accountability challenges in the past, you know we are all avid users of the “Flavor God” brand of seasoning. I threw my Mrs. Dash to the curb (I was never fond of Mrs. Dash, by the way)!! Flavor God is one of the reasons I am able to stay on track with my eating! When your healthy food have you asking “is this healthy” you know it’s seasoned and prepared well! To learn more about Flavor God (click here).
- Become acquainted with the distinct flavors fresh herbs & veggies! Keep trying until you find a combination that works for your palette. For veggies, I saute them in a little veggie broth, shallots, grated ginger and finely chopped cilantro & red pepper. Once my veggies are slightly tender, I remove them (along with the shallots, ginger and red pepper, and slightly shake pink Himalayan salt atop.
- For my seafood, pink salt with pepper and a little cilantro (because I adore cilantro) does the trick. However, when I want to kick my salmon, shrimp or swai flavor up a notch, here’s what I use (click here)! It stays stocked in my kitchen. Try some, you will NOT regret it, especially on salmon! Which I prepare skin side up in the toaster oven to ensure the skin crisps just right and is seasoned perfectly with my Chef Paul seasoning!
- Using smoked turkey necks and/ or ham shanks to season veggies is a common practice. While turkey and ham are pretty low in fat, for me personally, it’s not worth the sodium injection into my body!
- Did you know some the “puffiness” around your waist, wrists, ankles, toes, fingers, etc is not just FAT, some of it is water being retained. In some cases, water is retained in your body because of your seasoning choices! Too much salt = swollen / puffy body parts!!! Choose wisely!!
- To lessen the impact of a high sodium diet, it is imperative to drink at least a gallon of water a day. The more you drink water, the less water you retain. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it’s true. The more your body can trust that you will fulfill it’s hydration needs, it will release the water it is retaining. Drink your gallon slowly throughout the day for the best results!!
- Seasoning your salads can actually be fun! You don’t have to buy dressing from a bottle, you can quickly make your own tasty dressings with NO ADDED sugars. Yes diva, check your salad dressing labels, usually when it says low fat / low calorie, it’s high in sugar content instead. Darn marketers! They will change up the FAT GIRL equation to make you think you’re eating something healthy, when you actually are not! If your dressing of choice contains more than 3 grams a sugar per serving, it’s too much sis! Swap it out for a healthier alternative, or make your own!
Basic (make at home) Salad Dressings to “Season” your Salads
Creamy Garlic Dressing
Makes about 2 cups
• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 6 cloves garlic, crushed
• 6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
• 2 Tsp. pink salt
• 1 Tsp. Dijon mustard
• 1 Tbsp. raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
1. Place oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, salt, mustard, and honey in a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
2. Stir immediately before using
3. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated for about a week. liquid.
Another basic dressing recipe to try!!
Combine 1/4 cup olive oil,
Juice of 2 fresh lemons,
1 tsp prepared dijon mustard,
pink salt and pepper,
maybe a little garlic.
Adjust to your taste, diva!
We have tons more to share about seasoning your healthy food without table salt! We hope you plan to join our upcoming challenge, where we share tips (like this one all day)!
In the meantime, let’s rock this Easy Diva Task!
TODAY’S EASY DIVA TASK:
1) Review the basic seasoning guidelines provided.
2) Share in our Private Diva Support Group (CLICK HERE: Fit, Fyne & Fabulous Divas) if you had a chance to check your salad dressing label! Is there sugar? If so, how much!?
3) Click share at the bottom of this post. Please help us share informative & Free healthy topics / recipes.
If you have any questions about any of the items listed above, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or in our Fit, Fyne & Fabulous Diva Support Group! I would be glad to hear from you!
P.S.: If you would like to learn more about our monthly 30 day diva support meal prep challenges, please visit: Make Up & Meal Prep July
I’m Nicole Twyman, a native New Orleanian, who has lived all across the US! Although, my small family of 4 currently calls Los Angeles, CA home. I am a proud 40+ year old mom of a wonderfully energetic and theatrical daughter, and a handsome, scholarly athlete!
While I have worked in corporate America as a certified senior project / program / portfolio manager for Fortune 500 companies like Microsoft, Procter & Gamble & IBM, my passion is service. It has always been my desire to live a life of service to others; which I took every opportunity to explore as an active member of many of my church’s ministries and of my public service sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, Inc.
Well, now I am over the top excited to have the opportunity to serve divas through my very own ministry, Fit, Fyne & Fabulous.