Hello Mardi Gras, it’s me Nicole! This is a wonderful taste of home, but without all the sodium and fat! Enjoy divas. Make sure to check out our Recipe e-books for more dishes like this (click here). Use promo code DIVAhood10 for 10% off your entire order!
New Orleans Style Dirty Rice
- 1 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Lean Ground Turkey
- Pink Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Dash of your Fav Cajun Seasoning Tony Chachere is my fav
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1/2 Sweet onion or use 1 whole of my fav onion, The Shallot
- 1 - 1/2 cup Brown Rice
- Heat your skillet with the Olive Oil, and Brown the
- Chop your red and green bell peppers, along with onion into small pieces. Heat your skillet with Olive Oil your favorite healthy oil.
- Sautee the veggies until softened
- Add the pre-seasoned (pink salt, pepper, garlic powder and dash of Cajun seasoning) ground turkey to the same skillet. Taste Test the mixture to ensure its full of flavor (I love bold flavors), so season it to your preference.
- Add cooked brown rice to the skillet and mix in to ensure the rice takes on the flavors of the veggies and meat, add a dash more of cajun spice if needed.
- Serve 1/4 of the rice and meat together and serve your Dirty Rice bow warm and hot!
I’m Nicole Twyman, a native New Orleanian, who has lived all across the US! Although, my small family of 4 currently calls Los Angeles, CA home. I am a proud 40+ year old mom of a wonderfully energetic and theatrical daughter, and a handsome, scholarly athlete!
While I have worked in corporate America as a certified senior project / program / portfolio manager for Fortune 500 companies like Microsoft, Procter & Gamble & IBM, my passion is service. It has always been my desire to live a life of service to others; which I took every opportunity to explore as an active member of many of my church’s ministries and of my public service sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, Inc.
Well, now I am over the top excited to have the opportunity to serve divas through my very own ministry, Fit, Fyne & Fabulous.
OMG!! This recipe was so easy to make and tastes so good!!! My 9 year old who is the king of pizza and chicken nuggets, loved it too!! I love it when he likes something that isn’t processed. This will be a new regular meal for us!
Excellent recipe. I had mine with a side of broccoli and you have a full meal! I got a little heavy handed with the Tony’s, but it’s all good. This will be a repeat recipe for sure.
Yesssss! Great job adding extra veggies to your taste of Nawlins!